You may have heard that cleansing supports your body’s natural detoxification capabilities by saturating your cells with the nutrients and enzymes to work optimally – and maybe your coworker is raving about her juice cleanse that is delivered to her fresh daily and you envy her glowing skin. Maybe you’ve been thinking about ordering a cleanse, but before you start any cleanse, please read this. Many people walk into a juice bar to grab a 6-pack or order an herbal cleanse online and jump right in. I want you to treat your body right, so I want you to understand that a cleanse, whether a 3-day juice cleanse or a 12-day herbal cleanse, is stress on the body. Stress in any form, whether a stressful situation or a sudden change of diet, causes the same biological, cellular and hormonal reactions in the body. Stress hinders weight loss, so it’s always important to make sure you choose an appropriate time to do your cleanse. Always make sure you read ingredients and treat your body to organic, pure and quality products.
To make sure you get the most out of any cleanse you embark on, read my top cleansing tips below to make sure this process is as graceful and effective for you.
PRE CLEANSE (3 Days)
- Diet: predominately organic raw/vegetarian focusing on dark leafy greens in salads/smoothies/juices; fruit (avocado, apples, berries); broth or soup in colder months.
- Eliminate: caffeine, alcohol, refined sugar, processed food, dairy, meat, wheat
- Stay hydrated: drink quality water (feel free to add lemon or ginger) throughout the day to keep things moving
- Chew food mindfully if on a whole-foods based cleanse (or “chew” juices if you’re on a juice cleanse).
- Hydrate: enjoy water + caffeinated herbal teas as per your cleanse
- Rest: limit social commitments and exercise if necessary – listen to your body and allow this time for your body to rest.
- Symptoms: you may experience flu-like detox symptoms (headaches, nausea) based on your prior health history, which usually appear within the first 3 days of a cleanse – this is normal and a sign of healing, known as a”healing crisis”!
- Reduce symptoms: aid your body in releasing toxins by keeping your body moving (walk, restorative yoga), infrared sauna, skin brushing, drinking water or herbal teas.
- Sleep: sleep is crucial for cellular repair and detoxification! Aim for 8 hours a night, and try to be in bed by 10pm latest.
- First Morning: lemon juice in room temp water to start your day
- First Breakfast: eat light (fruit alone, vegetable smoothie, or broth)
- First Lunch: light vegetable salad with lemon juice
- First Dinner: may now add lightly steamed vegetables
- Second Day: you may reintroduce cooked gluten-free grains (quinoa, millet) + fermented foods (sauerkraut, kimchi, miso)
- Third Day: you may reintroduce proteins (chicken, eggs, fish, beans, nuts, seeds) + healthy fats (avocado, coconut, hemp, flax)
Once you pass through the first few days of a cleanse, you will reach a heightened sense of clarity, lightness and energy as your body will be thriving on nutrients. Remember to ease out of a cleanse by gradually reintroducing clean food groups as above to maximize effects.
Contact me for a complimentary consultation to discuss how cleansing can work best for you.